Friday, February 25, 2011

To Baptize or not to Baptize?

First let me state that I am not sure if I am still a Christian or not. During my childhood I attended a broad spectrum of Protestant churches, from Unitarian to Southern Baptist. I even had a brief encounter with true fundamentalism (as in people speaking in tongues, or drunk from the communion wine, or perhaps both). I went to a fairly conservative Christian high school, participated in Mission trips to Mexico (all the while wondering why the people we were helping seemed far more content than me, but perhaps that was the diarrhea speaking) and attempted to pray on a daily basis. Then I went off to college at a public University, met lots of amazing people from various belief systems, and quickly crawled out of my close-minded little box. I suspect this happens to 50% of devout adolescents. The other 50% get married at age 18 in order to avoid premarital sex and begin a process of copious breeding. Not that there is anything wrong with that [pregnant pause].

Since that time I've migrated further and further away from identifying myself as a
"Christian". Yet I still love Jesus. The problem is, I also love Buddha, mother nature, Yahweh, and the many amazing people in my life who follow these "beings". I don't want to get into a theological diatribe (mainly because I have little knowledge to back it up) but I simply cannot believe in a God who would send non-Christians to Hell or view loving gay unions as a sin. And in my VERY humble opinion, true religious "faith" emerges from the instincts in your gut that tell you things like "wait, if God is so loving, why is he sending a large portion of the people he created to hell?". And if you have to force your gut to believe something that just seems wrong on many levels, then perhaps you've migrated into brainwashing territory. For me, that territory was the Mexican desert, when I tried to go through the motions of being "born again" on mission trips but just could NOT get the hang of it. It was like being constipated (except for the aforementioned diarrhea).

And so my gut (i.e. my faith) has led me believe in a Higher Power who is far greater and far more mysterious than a single human belief system. I find this Higher Power in places like Franz Biebl's Ave Maria (to hear, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVBsNUXg_YM) and Rachmaninoff's Vespers. The problem is, I'm not sure how to expose my son to this Higher Power. How do you educate your child about something that you yourself find to be a complete but beautiful mystery? Do you arbitrarily choose a favorite church based on superficial factors ("hey this church has good communion wine and a choir that sings in tune, let's join!")? Do you expose your child to lots of churches, or no churches at all? Do you volunteer on Sundays, go hiking to pristine spots, and take him to hear divine music instead of subjecting him to organized religion? As much as I love the idea of letting Elliot figure it out for himself, I would like to play a small and humble role in exposing him to the wonders that I have found from my faith.

This brings me to the question of baptism. We have the honor of serving as Godparents to the baby girl of our good friends this Sunday when she is baptized into the Catholic faith of her family. We attended a class and rehearsal on the baptism process, and I was surprised to find myself yearning for a way to offer Elliot a similar blessing. As Rob and I now ponder how to include spirituality in our parenting of this miraculous little boy, we are faced with an abundance of questions. Perhaps teaching Elliot to question, wonder, and maintain an open heart is the best blessing we can offer him. But a little dash of water and beautiful ritual won't hurt, will it?

4 comments:

  1. I struggled (and still struggle) with these questions. Since we don't adhere to one faith, we opted out of baptism, but thought about a naming ceremony around August's 1st birthday. That seemed to woo-woo however, and alas, we never executed any naming/baptismal-plan.

    While I feel pretty grounded in my own sense of spirituality (after an upbringing VERY similar to yours -- we should talk!), I still want to connect with a faith community...and I have to admit I love the sense of history, cultural connectedness and sacredness (ceremony + old music + incense + robes and if possible funny hats) offered by the old religions. However, since like you I can't agree with some fundamental stances of the church, I've signed up with noone.

    To date, this means that we go to St. James on Christmas Eve and on All Saints Day for (Mozart's Requiem) Mass. That's it. I'd like it to be more. Maybe we could form our own support group for such searching, since I believe we have similar interests/priorities...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I would LOVE this. Yes, let's talk more! Perhaps we can join forces and form a little community for our babies. Maybe we could even have our own non-woowoo (and that term is just SO appropriate) blessing event for all of our little ones. Sounds like good conversation material for another trip to Cactus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think this discussion would be materially improved with tequila...er, I mean lunch at Cactus! Maybe Wed???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this same sense of "missing" with our kids... like no blessings for babies born without the idea of original sin... except for the blessing of being born into a family that doesn't think you are evil incarnate, except on some days. The UU's often have water blessings for babies, if you're still needing that. We need some way to bless our babies without also cursing them. Also... there are lots of great books on how and why to teach kids to be moral without all that other stuff. It's not an empty morality either, as they often told me it would be.

    Loved the "gut" thing that kept coming up in here. Fun!

    ReplyDelete